Tue. Feb. 27, 2018 10:00 AM - Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 04:00 PM
Discovery North Bay Museum
North Bay ON
The North Bay Newcomer Network & the North Bay & District Multicultural Centre present:
The Opening Doors Project 2-Day Workshop Series 'Connecting the Dots: Migration, Discrimination, and Mental Health'
Strengthening mental health, anti-racism & anti-discrimination literacy in our community
February 27 & 28 • 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. | Free • Lunch Provided
Open to: service providers, educators, healthcare providers, law enforcement, employers & government
Join us as we explore:
• going beyond multiculturalism and diversity and move into anti-racism
• moving away from a single narrative of migration and see the great diversity that characterizes the experiences of newcomers to Canada
• a broad understanding of mental health, incorporating the social determinants that impact the health of particular individuals and communities
• a variety of mental health perspectives and approaches, such as 'sanism' and 'mentalism'
• the major stressors that affect particular groups and communities
• understanding stress not only as an individual factor but as a social phenomenon rooted in specific socio-economic conditions
• the concept of 'intersectionality' to highlight the shifting nature of identity and multiple ways of being
Questions? Contact Meg @ MegRamore@nbdmc.ca | 705-495-8931
*this is a 2-day workshop. If you are unable to attend both days please contact Meg Ramore to make special arrangements.